Saturday, January 9, 2010

PPRD: Introduction to Visual Culture: Context and Theory

This module has been particularly challenging, I feel that there has been a lot to learn and understand in a very short space of time. However, I do think that over time my understanding has become deeper and that what I have learnt is extremely useful in all aspects of my work.
Semiotics seems to involve many theorists and terms that all need to be understood before creating a further meaning from them and I have found the concepts within this module extremely hard to grasp.
The further reading has helped me understand the meaning of semiotics more, particularly David Crow ‘An Introduction to Semiotics’, which simplifies the different theories and gives clear definitions. However, in relation to Visual Communications I found Malcolm Barnard’s ‘Graphic Design as Communication’ a very useful source in understanding how semiotics is used to communicate particular meanings and have bought this book as I believe it will continue to be useful throughout the course.
This module introduced many different terms in a very short space of time which became quite overwhelming and confusing. However, with further reading and attempts to decode images, each aspect began to fall into place. I found it interesting that I began to decode images I saw every day but had not thought about in such depth before. For example, adverts in magazines or even food packaging. I think it is very interesting to think that every decision, for example, colour or typeface, was made to communicate a particular message. It is no exaggeration to say that it has changed the way in which I look at images.
The first task, to produce a Dada inspired poem, I found interesting as the brief was quite broad, allowing me to interpret it as I wanted and produce the final image in any way I decided. I cut words from various magazines and was pleasantly surprised with the outcome. The sentence was not coherent but it did flow and several of the words inspired some interesting images. I used Photoshop to create my final image drawing mostly from found images to visualise my cut-out sentence. The final image was visually appealing and I was pleased with it, although I found it extremely hard to keep it nonsensical rather than to try and create meaning.
The group task was challenging. As it was such a large group we found it difficult to delegate certain tasks and I would have liked to have spent longer on the initial research I regret that I was unable to attend the presentation. However, I feel that our group worked well together, breaking the group in half to research Nestle in one and McDonalds in another, and then breaking that down further to concentrate on research and the other half to work on design. Were I to do this task again I feel we would have been more organised from the beginning, using our time more efficiently.
The assignment to analyse and contextualise a visual image was very difficult, particularly trying to conform to essay conventions in terms of references and bibliography.
We were first asked to submit a draft essay of 800 words, I had done this but did not receive specific feedback as to how this could be expanded on. In future I feel that I should push for more help so that I can fulfil my potential. I introduced another similar image to contrast and compare, again looking at historical art references to see where the ideas were generated from. Although I found this task hard it was interesting to spend such a long time concentrating on one image, beginning to see aspects that I had never considered before and that the average reader would not have considered themselves.
Writing the essay has also helped me discover certain theorists and authors whose work supported the comments made in my essay. Learning the terms in relation to an actual image was much easier and during this essay I began to learn a lot more in terms of the ‘gaze’ associated with the male consumption of images of women in Western Visual culture. I have also learnt during writing the essay, how the production of meaning is related to culture and communication through codes and signs. I have also learnt how connotations need cultural knowledge to be understood and constructed.
Within this module I have learnt about semiotics, which I have discovered is the study of signs and symbols and their meanings.
The skills I have learnt during this module and whilst writing this essay are how to analyse a visual text on a formal level and through decoding. I have also learnt how to put this in a historical and cultural context. On a larger scale I have also made frequent use of the library which again has been a useful skill for all modules within the course. I have always been heavily reliant on using the internet to find information and supporting evidence but the research skills I have learnt and the wide variety of books the library contains has helped me look further to gain a more detailed analysis of images and a better understanding of semiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment