Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Bruce Connew

My group is looking at the photographer Bruce Connew. Connew is a political documentary photographer based in New Zealand. He has a new book titled 'I Must Behave' which in the Typeradio interview that I have now transcribed from beginning to end, Connew states; 'It deals with the notion of control, behavior within society but within a way that looks at ordinariness being a part of that control... So it's looking at habits, traditions, conditioning certainly, the way in which we are raised to behave a certain way'.
I was unsure when I realised the artist I would be looking at is a photographer as I find it hard to relate to this. However, now I have listened to the interview Connew has a very interesting way of looking at life, how fleeting it is and how much impact art actually has in a political sense.
below is his most recent book, the fantastic cover design by Catherine Griffiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment