Monday, October 19, 2009

Poole - A Visual Insight PPRD

I have created a pen line drawing designed to be featured within The Guardian newspaper. The idea behind this image is to use the concept of regeneration to show how the old Poole can be used as a positive foundation for the creation of the new regenerated Poole. After looking into Poole's history I considered ideas connected to the old buildings and with Poole Pottery, however, the composition I felt had the most impact was one that connected with Poole's fishing background. It appears that this was thought about by those involved with the regeneration as the shapes and angles of the RNLI building and of the new apartments on the quay, captured in my photographs on our day trip to Poole, replicated those of large ships. Using this connection I developed the idea of two boats rising from fishing nets entangled with floats and fishing related objects. I kept the upper half of the image simple with sparse clean lines to show modernity; this then moved down into much more detail and shading on the buildings as they developed and flowed into the fishing nets. I used several thicknesses of pens to create the different lines, and ink to create shading on the closest objects and to accentuate the perspective on the buildings. The black and white technique is very effective and shows the idea of regeneration well although, as mentioned in the critique, I could have used colour. I did experiment with watercolour paints, pencil colours and gouache but felt this unsuitable as I wanted all aspects of the image to fit in with the Guardian’s presentational style. I liked the complex architectural feel of the image that the typical Guardian reader might appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment