Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Glyphs PPRD

I have not worked with Illustrator before so this project allowed me to learn and practise with the software. I looked at the work of many other artists to attempt to understand what made a successful glyph. The work of Oded Ezer and Otl Aicher were particularly useful and it was interesting to see how pictograms had developed through time. It was difficult to find images that would create good glyphs from the photographs I had taken in Poole but I think the ones I have used are clear and simplistic enough to create an effective visual metaphor. I decided to use block shapes as silhouettes rather than using line drawings as I felt this made the glyph more substantial. I used the text from a Printing shop sign as an icon. The way the photo I had taken put the text on a slant made a more interesting tracing of this text.

No comments:

Post a Comment