Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fashion Shoot


To obtain images to draw from for my fashion illustrations, I decided to do my own fashion shoot.  During my research, I observed that most photos used full face shots, with the model making direct eye contact with the viewer.  I found that those that did not show the face or that had it partially hidden, were much more interesting, allowing the viewer to make their own connotations.

I worked with a photographer, Phoebe Cheong (http://www.phoebecheong.com) who is particularly interested in fashion photography and has many images similar to those that I wanted to draw.  Phoebe organised the shoot for me, advising me what I needed to do.  I had not realised how many people and how much time went into a shoot.  The studio and lights took a long time to set up in order to achieve our desired effect.

Before the shoot I bought a selection of outfits for the model, bearing in mind movement and small details, especially on the back, silhouettes and fabric.  I also had to plan what I needed for hair and makeup and the sort of poses I required.

Phoebe is a very talented photographer and helped me through each process, allowing me to have complete creative control, but using her experience and skills to advise me.  I learnt a lot from this experience, and also really enjoyed it.





No comments:

Post a Comment