Friday, October 29, 2010

Business Identity

Lise Meitner is the woman that discovered nuclear fission which eventually lead to the creation of the atomic bomb.  I wanted to design her a stationary set that reflected her work as a physicist and mathematician that also drew on the business card designs that existed in her time.
   The font choice I made was Minion Pro a serif font that is simple and elegant.  Lise Meitner was frequently over looked as a woman scientist, for example, her male partner won the nobel prize for her discovery.  Because of this I decided to leave her gender off her card, showing her name as 'L. Meitner'.
   I have used a cream coloured linen effect paper for the stationary, the colour resembling those used in the 1930s.  I also added a light graph paper effect to bring in her work as a mathematician.  I wanted to combine the 1930s business card designs and artwork from the time when Meitner discovered nuclear fission, with a more modern approach.
   I wanted Meitner's card to be different and attract people's attention and I found the best way to do this was to use Meitner's connection to the atomic bomb, making a pop-up explosion when the card is opened.  I have kept the explosion hidden away until the card is opened to reflect Meitner's regret at her association with the atomic bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment