Thursday, April 15, 2010

End of the Year

Reflecting on everything that I have learnt from Visual Communication this year my experiences are very varied. As an illustrator primarily, I have found the design process with regards to graphic design difficult, and different from anything I have done before.

When I began this course I was not completely clear what 'Visual Communication' would encompass. I now feel that it can include a broad variety of things and is actually very open to interpretation. Almost all design work requires thought related to semiotics and subtle visual orientated decisions and I have learnt a lot about motivations behind these decisions.

I have always had a keen interest in typography, particularly experimental typography, so I have enjoyed learning more about this and learning technical terms for typographical elements.

This year has been very software orientated; I have learnt to use Indesign, Quark, After Effects, Flash and Illustrator. I know this will be very useful to me in the future and I need to make sure I continue to practise and expand my skills.

I have really enjoyed creating my own blog and update it regularly, using it as an ongoing diary to recall mistakes and document progress. Researching different typographers, designers and artists has encouraged me to create my own personal blog with everything that inspires me, I have found this to be a helpful resource to turn to when I need ideas and I enjoy sharing other artist's work with people who may not be aware of it.

Seeing many different designers speak on the course and going to the Four Designers Conference in London has allowed me to receive some really helpful advice. I now realise how important it is to promote myself, taking any opportunities and contacts I can to further my work. This is something I have always found daunting but already this has paid off as I have been given work outside of the course and have managed to organise two work placements and another in the summer.

I have had the most trouble with ideas generation, attempting to create something that is interesting and unique, yet fits the brief and my budgeting requirements. However, I believe I have got better at this as the course has progressed. I would like to have more opportunities to work on my artwork, as the only time I feel I can do this currently is outside the course as my own style is rarely relevant. I believe that if I am to get to a standard that will allow me to study BA Illustration, either at the Arts University College in Bournemouth or elsewhere, I will have to do this in my own time or I will very quickly become out of my depth.

No comments:

Post a Comment